Wow Regie Routman tells it like it is in the book Writing Essentials. She claims, "The celebration of children's writing needs to move right up front to become a major goal. Routman wants teachers to make writing enjoyable for kids and she says teachers can do this by celebrating the risks students take when they try something new or choose to rewrite a piece of their paper. She says what teachers celebrate sends a message of value to students. If teachers are going to turn kids into writers then teachers must also express joy in writing. If teachers see writing as another task that it simply a means to please the teacher they will not enjoy it. Routman wants teachers to focus on how they can engage their students in writing and encourage them to invest in their writing with their hearts and minds. Routman claims many students already dislike writing by the first grade and essentially it is because teachers put a lot of requirements on students writing the need for correctness and the lack of choice offered to students kills their creativity.
My niece is staying with me this week she is four. She was sitting at the kitchen table tonight drawing while my daughter was doing her homework and I was watching her. She was drawing scribbles on the paper however, she was thoroughly engaged in her writing and she was telling her story as she wrote it she said. "this is the dog, his name is Scooby. This is his milk bones he loves doggy treats". She went on like this fro a long time. I made the connection between what Routman was saying and what I saw my niece doing because she was engaged in her writing she was seeing herself as a writer. As I was listening to my niece write and tell her story I saw that she was doing a good job she had a beginning a middle and an end.
I thought it was very interesting that Routman encourages teacher to tell stories to their students. She says you have to tell "personal and commonplace stories that relate to everyday happenings...put [your] heart on the page" (25). This is important, if teachers want students to write meaningful stories they should be willing to do the same so they know what you expect.
In chapter two Routman discusses the idea that teachers need to see themselves as writer before they can effectively teach students to see themselves as writers. She said teachers need to be willing to take risks in front of their students. Composing and writing on the spot and not over planning a lesson. Let our students see you struggle to get your thoughts down. Let them see you make mistakes and let then see you as a writer and let them see you enjoy it. Routman also notes that if teachers set high expectations for writing the better students will write better especially if the students writing is valued.
I remember the first writing class when I returned to college. I have never enjoyed writing, mostly because I never felt like I was good at it. I remember writing in one of my papers about what I was supposed to write. My professor said what you are supposed to write? He made it clear to me that writing is not about what I think I am supposed to do to please the teacher. It is about what I want to say and how I want to say it. Later in the next quarter when I was taking my second writing class with the same teacher he used one of my essays as an example for the class. He put it up on the doc camera, with my name crossed out of course, and I will never forget how proud I felt at that moment when I realized it was my paper up there and he was using it to point out all the good things about my writing. I was sharing my writing life for the first time and it felt good. I felt like my writing had value and that feeling forces me to always try to do my best work and enjoy what I am writing about.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Marianne Williamson
About Me
- Sandya
- Bothell, WA, United States
- Welcome to my Blog! I am a student teacher in the K-8 Tcert program at the University of Wasington Bothell Campus. While I am very excited and enthusiastic to get into the classroom, I cycle through stages of fear and doubt, sometimes feeling confident, sometimes feeling inadequate. I hope my role as a teacher allows me to create a classroom that builds interesting, creative, curriculum that is fun and relevant. I hope I can create a classroom community that nurtures students and gets them interested in school. I hope I can cultivate caring, trusting, relationships with my students’ that encourages the creation of knowledge. I worry I will not know how to build these important connections with my students.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow Sandy- I am so happy you had the experience with your college instructor using YOUR paper as a an example of "good writing." You will remember how that made you feel and be sure to create the same experiences for your students. I know that you are going to be an amazing teacher. You care about how people are feeling and it shows. Your students will feel respected and cared for - and that is the recipe for bolstering self confidence in our students!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about "risk taking," it's what we need to model for our students. So, do not feel like you have to start your first teaching job as a seasoned professional. We need to show our students that we are life-long learners who are not afraid to make mistakes. We are real people who can learn from our mistakes. It's the LEARNING that matters, right? The "personal and common place stories" we tell will mean more to our students when they trust us to be honest and open individuals. They will take more risks if they trust us. And most importantly (as you mentioned) they will feel valued in the process.
~ Keep up the good work Sandy!
Thanks for sharing about your experience in college. It reminded me of my current dyad placement. My master teacher would always use the docu-cam to go over homework assignments. She would also make sure everyone has had a chance to use their paper as an example. I did not see the value or connection in doing this until I read your experience above. Finding the positive qualities in students' work is so important in building confidence.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wonder what happens when students get mixed messages from teachers. One teacher can help a student grow as a writer through positive feedback and another could do the opposite by always focusing on the corrections.