If I had a nickel for every time this radio station played in my head I would be a very rich woman! I have worked for years to get the KFKD station off my favorites dial and today I do a fairly good job tuning into a quieter station. However,sometimes the dial tunes in this station and it takes me awhile to remember to change it. For me there is something familiar and safe about KFKD playing in my head. I think it has played for so many years the messages it sends feel like an old sweater you can drown in. As the tunes of KFKD spill into my ears I embrace the constant... familiar... thump! thump! thump! of the familiar old tunes. The song is one of tragedy... failure... self pity... and disappointment, as the beat goes on the feelings creep into my unconscious and I welcome the dialogue the music brings like that old, familiar, sweater.
In the novel bird by bird, by Anne Lamott she talks about this radio station and about how if you are not careful it will play in your head 24/7. Lamott mentions how this radio station will promote "self-loathing, the lists of all the things one doesn't do well, of all the mistakes one has made today an over an entire lifetime, the doubt, the assertion that everything that one touches turns to shit, that doesn't do relationships well, that one is in every way a fraud, incapable of selfless love, that one has no talent or insight, and on and on" (116).
Lamott talks about how dangerous this station is she says that anyone can quiet brain their brain and connect with their broccoli can write. Lamott wants everyone to know that if they believe in themselves they will become a writer. I feel like Lamott is asking writers to believe that writing is about letting go, growing, facing truths, and holding on. Writing is about finding your passion and your voice and being courageous enough to pour your heart mind and soul into your characters.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Marianne Williamson
About Me
- Sandya
- Bothell, WA, United States
- Welcome to my Blog! I am a student teacher in the K-8 Tcert program at the University of Wasington Bothell Campus. While I am very excited and enthusiastic to get into the classroom, I cycle through stages of fear and doubt, sometimes feeling confident, sometimes feeling inadequate. I hope my role as a teacher allows me to create a classroom that builds interesting, creative, curriculum that is fun and relevant. I hope I can create a classroom community that nurtures students and gets them interested in school. I hope I can cultivate caring, trusting, relationships with my students’ that encourages the creation of knowledge. I worry I will not know how to build these important connections with my students.
Hi Sandy,
ReplyDeleteI think that kids, especially kids who struggle to write, are also tuned into KFKD. Teachers can play a big role in helping kids learn how to choose a different station. I think that Routman, with her emphasis on celebration and a focus on what kids are able to do, as opposed to a focus on deficits, is about creating positive stations.
Nancy